It has been a heck of a month. Things finally calmed down a bit, and I really needed to recharge. I decided to take a 3-day staycation. Though I had to do a little bit of work from home yesterday, I managed to stay focused on sewing! I've been craving for some sewing time!
Yes, a red t-shirt! It's Butterick 5354 pattern that I purchased back in March. With the RTW fasting, I am in need of making the basics. With the summer approaching, I need some new t-shirts!
View C is what I made. The fabric is a cotton/poly light/medium weight knit. It was a remnant someone gave me a while back. There was just enough for one t-shirt. Hey, it's virtually a free t-shirt.
I love the neckline. I love the walking foot. (Have I said that before?!) It's like night and day. No more struggling with any type of fabric. You just had to have the right kind of tools, I learned.
The back neckline. This was a happy accident. The neckline seam is supposed to be folded toward the inside of the shirt. When I had the front and the back of the t-shirt put together, I made a mistake! I had the wrong side of the back on the outside! But I rather like the effect. On this fabric, you can hardly tell the right side from the wrong side. So, I decided to leave it as is. I'm happy with the result.
The sleeve set in nicely.
I just don't have any photos of me wearing it yet.
Here is the t-shirt #2.
It's Maria Denmark's 101 Kirsten Kimono Tee. This fantastic free pattern is downloadable from her site. A fellow RTW faster told me about it when we had a meet-up at the Puyallup Sewing Expo. I cut the small, but used the extra small neckline for the front since I like a little more scoop on the neckline.
This fabric was also a gift/donation. A neighbor was moving and downsizing. She gave me a whole bunch of fabrics from her stash. (I mean a WHOLE BUNCH, like 5 large trash bagful!! Mostly high quality wool! Well, that's another blog post.) In it, there was this light weight, very stretchy and good quality knit remnant. I love this blue-gray color. There wasn't even a yard of it left, so I couldn't cut both front and back in one piece. I had to cut the front in two separate pieces. I meant to do some embellishment along the front line where I sewed the two front pieces together.
However, I ended up deciding to do the embellishment around the neckline instead. I pinned the black lace around the neckline to see how it would look. I liked it. It reminded me of one of my favorite t-shirts I have. It's an Ann Taylor t-shirt which has a little lace embellishment along the neckline with the raw edge left exposed. I decided that I'd like to do something similar.
Here is the finished neckline. I just sewed the lace along the neckline, leaving the inside raw edge alone which flips up and does a little peed-a-boo.
I love it.
The front middle where I had to sew the two pieces together is almost invisible.
This t-shirt was put together so fast. I love the design, I love the simple elegance. I will definitely make it again. This t-shirt is so clean and simple that it's perfect for playing with little embellishment. The shirt just tickles your creativity. I think I will also check out other patterns by Maria Denmark.
The actual color of the fabric is a little darker than it appears in the photos.