Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Muslin -- A Must?

Time flew.  Last week was busy, and before I knew it, it was OVER.

The weekend included trying a new Yakiniku, Japanese style BBQ, restaurant. Oh fun!


I've been thinking a lot about muslins. For the longest time, I didn't know people made muslins. How and where I learned to sew, muslin making was never mentioned. (Another topic, another post)

I've been an occasional and casual garment sewer for a long time -- I like things that are quick, not so serious, so that's what I did a lot of.  I'd like to avoid something like muslin making if at all possible. Sounds so time consuming.

I hadn't sewn for a few years until this year. Now ## years later, I want to get serious. I will still make bags and other fun things, will not give up on improv sewing.  But now I'm aiming for making some serious garments.  Something I'll actually really like and will love to wear.

So I started reading on something like this, how to make a muslin. And like this on Burda. (Muslin is called Toile [tou-wa-le]?? outside US, it seems.  In Japan, it's called [Toware], I'm finding.)  Lauren, who by the way spits out dresses faster than I can read her blog, at Lladybird says in her tips on sewing post to make a muslin.  Reeeaaally? Do I have to? Should I?

After so many years of not sewing a thing for me, I made an impulse purchase of a pattern and fabric this summer and made this.
It was fun, and it was mainly to test and to get to know my new sewing machine. But, as you can see, the result isn't so pretty.  I'm afraid I chose a wrong kind of fabric, and the size adjustment I made directly onto the dress as I was making it, didn't really turn out great. Totally out of practice. It was an experience. A learning experience. (The word "Muslin" crossed my mind.)

Now that I'm really looking forward to receiving and sewing with the patterns I ordered (yes, I did!) from Style Arc , it's really time to practice.

By the way, these are the patterns I ordered.

Adel top

Susan Top

Linda Stretch Pants

They will also throw in a free one.
What a great marketing idea. A free pattern with every purchase. I don't even mind the shipping charge now. A win-win, consumers & Style Arc. I can smell this is a great company. When I emailed them with a question on sizing, I received a prompt email from Chloe who I believe is one of the founders of Style Arc.

In trying to select what my first Style Arc patterns purchase was going to be, I wanted to see what others have sewn with Style Arc patterns. I came across this blog.  The wardrobe put together by Margy from A Fool for Fabric sold me! This was it!

It could be two weeks before I get them as they are sent from Australia. Meanwhile, I decided to 'practice' while I wait for the patterns. I pulled out a pattern from my pattern stash drawer, and I pulled out this green fabric, formerly known as bed sheet. I remember reading about 'sheet shirts' on Peter Lappin's blog, Male Pattern Boldness, so I thought, why not a sheet dress?
The actual color is slightly brighter hunter green than the photo sows here. I actually like it a lot.  In this fabric pattern, I spy a jack-o'-lantern picture! (or is that supposed to be a flower, upside down?!)

Pulled out a few of my vintage sewing tools.

The pink one and the tracing papers came in one of the drawers of the cabinet with my Elna blue top machine. The spiky one, I bought at the monthly vintage market in my neighborhood. I love the pink one. It's so handy. It's really two-in-one. You can use both the spiky wheel side and the pink plastic end just like a Hera Marker.

This envelope contained seven large unused tracing papers in five different colors. Marked 29 cents!  

By the way, I am using Jeri Bee, my New Home/Janome, for this dress. She is SOOOOO smooth and quiet. I'm really loving her. The only thing I had to get used to was that her needle position of LEFT being normal. Not a biggie. Just different from what I'm used to.
 Oooo, note my brand new shellac nail polish, too~!



So, do you make a muslin with every project you sew? Can you tell that I'm trying to convince myself that I must.

No comments:

Post a Comment